If you are suffering from certain eye problems, then you have to visit an eye doctor immediately. Some people are unable to notice the signs of cancer, that’s why we recommend you to visit the doctor. Or you can get detailed information from a given topic.
Eye tumors are additionally known as ocular tumors, which are formed due to the collection of cells that grow abnormally. These are of two types such as-:
- Malignant or cancerous
- Benign or non-cancerous.
Generally, the eye tumor is metastatic, which is a type of secondary tumor. This type of cancer is caused when tumors spread all over the body from one part to another such as from breast, lungs, to bowel and prostate.
While rare, ocular melanoma is the most common type of adult primary tumor developed in the eye. Sometimes it is known as choroidal or uveal melanoma. This develops from pigmented eye cells and exists in three major areas of the human eye include-:
- The iris
- The ciliary body
- The choroid.
Collectively, these three eye regions make up the uvea melanoma.
In the choroid, which is found between the retina and the sclera, most eye melanomas occur in this area. Other less common types of primary intraocular tumors are-:
- Intraocular lymphoma
Certain rare ocular cancers are-:
- Conjunctival melanoma
- Carcinoma of the eyelid
- Tumor of the lacrimal gland.
In these conditions, you need to visit the eye hospital, so that you can get the right treatment from the eye doctor on time. In this way, you will be able to reduce the risk of development of certain other eye problems.
Symptoms of eye cancer
- The main sign of this condition is a brown spot in your eye, which is additionally known as Eye moles. Generally, these moles are developed on the Iris, conjunctiva of the eye, and the choroid. If you spot dark spots in your eye, then you must contact the doctor as soon as possible to get the right treatment.
- Secondly, people who are suffering from eye cancer have blurry vision and find it difficult to see objects clearly.
- If you are suffering from Benign eye tumors, then the main sign is an abnormal growth of blood vessels surrounding the eye, which are known as hemangiomas.
- Persons who are experiencing malignant eye tumors may notice below-mentioned signs-:
- Flashes of light
- Irregularly shaped pupil
- Loss of vision
- Visual distortion
Causes of eye tumors
Eye Tumors are caused due to several reasons-:
- Lack of exercise.
- Exposure to wind and ultraviolet rays
- Chronic inflammation
- Hormonal fluctuations
Risk Factors for Eye Cancer
Age and Race
This type of eye problem is usually experienced by old age people, when they reach the 70s. And this condition is experienced by white people as compared to black people.
People who are already suffering from moles in the eye and extra pigmentation around the eye and multiple flat moles are at greater risk of having an eye tumor.
Some people experience eye cancer due to family history. This means if their parents have this condition, then they are at greater risk of having it.